The Winston-Salem Barber School was established in 1935 by Mr. F. L. Gobble and Mr. M. C. Whitney to help meet the growing demand for highly trained barbers in the Piedmont area. The School was located at Sixth and Trade Streets in Winston-Salem until 1969 when it was moved to 1531 Silas Creek Parkway, the present location. In September 2016, the Winston Salem Barber School opened a satellite location at 1700 Stanley Road in Greensboro, NC. The School enjoys the reputation of being the oldest existing barber school in North Carolina and one of the oldest in the United States.
The Winston Salem Barber School has proudly served the community for over 80 years. Our philosophy is that our graduates will always be in demand if they are properly trained as students. The Winston Salem Barber School’s education provides training in business, customer service, and many other skills needed to have a successful career. Our students are well-rounded and are true professionals due to the diversity and volume of their practical service applications. The Winston Salem Barber School performs services on more than 30,000 patrons per year.
The Winston-Salem Barber School was accredited by the National Association of Trade and Technical Schools in February 1990 and was accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges in October 1995. The School is certified by the United States Department of Education to administer financial aid to those who qualify under the Title IV programs. The School is also recognized as a Post-Secondary Institution by the State of North Carolina.